Friday, December 5, 2003

Franz Josef Glacier


Mike and I both headed over to Franz Josef for today, but he went on a full day hike of the glacier. The weather was pretty crap, again, so I thought I'd wait a day or so to see if it got better. I met Alan, an Irish dude, in the morning, and we took for a hike up to a view point. We didn't realize the start of the hike was 6km out of town, so we already walked an hour before we started the 5 hr hike. It drizzled on us here and there in the morning, so I probably got just as wet as I would have been if I had done the glacier hike. But at least I didn't pay $100 for it. The hike had several water crossing, one where I had to take my shoe off to cross since I couldn't jump far enough. Most of it was pretty steep rock scrambling along slippery track, thanks to the rain. The view at the top, once there, was pretty awesome tho. The weather had cleared up by then too, and we had sunshine for rest of the day.

Later in the day, Mike, Alan, and I moved on to Fox Glacier, staying at Ivory Towers. We rented some bicycles and headed over to Lake Matheson to catch the sunset. Luck would have it, the clouds rolled in before we got there and we couldn't get a good reflection of Mt.Cook in the lake like we wanted. After all that I went through - a 6 hr hike earlier in the day, a 20 min bike ride which gave me a sore ass, and an 1.5 hr walk around the lake.... Oh well.

No comments: