Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Blue Mountains


I stayed in the Blue Mountains YHA in Katoomba for 3 nights so that I can do some hiking in the area. I hiked around Katoomba one day, and around Blackheath the second. In Katoomba, I started at one end of the Federal Pass and walked along it and up the Furber Steps. Then I went across the Prince Henry Cliff Walk to Echo Point for a closer view of the Three Sisters. Man, I thought New Zealand was touristy, but that was nothing compared to here. Tourists were everywhere. If you are worried about travelling alone around here, you shouldn't, 'cuz you're never really alone. Fortunately there weren't too many people on the Federal Pass since there was a steep decent in ascent out. I spent about 4 hrs walking this day. In Blackheath I did the Grand Canyon walk - lots of lush rainforest and waterfalls. Absolutely beautiful walk. I thought the Blue Mountains had more of a variety in scenery than the typical day hike in New Zealand. I enjoyed it a lot. Also, somehow I managed to end up hiking along with some German speaking dudes Mike, Florian, and Martin. I enjoyed the solitude of walking alone yesterday, so some company was a nice change. Plus, I wouldn't want to be walking alone in some parts of the Grand Canyon track.

No comments: