Thursday, November 20, 2003

Rotorua

Rotorua is the hot spring capital of New Zealand. The town rests on tons of geothermal activity which oozes out into mud pools, geysers, hot springs, etc. My plan was to spend a few days to soak in the hot springs and relax to kill time before I hit Taupo and Wellington. However, after meeting up and talking with Claire and Dave, I decided to leave with them tomorrow to do the Tongariro Crossing with them. Taupo was only an hour away so it will be fairly easy to make my back to Rotorua to spend more time here.

Dave and Claire was going to a Maori cultural dinner and Hangi thing (i.e. local dinner and dance). I spent my evening walking around Rotorua, sniffing the smell of sulfur (you know, the rotten egg smell) in the thermal areas. Not a whole lot to be done here, but it's a small, cozy town perfect for time killing.

No comments: