Thursday, November 13, 2003

Back in Auckland

Back in Auckland for the day while I figure out my next move. I only really have half the day, so not really much time for sightseeing. This time though, I did check in to a hostel in the city centre (Albert Park Backpackers) so I have easy access to shops and stuff. Turns out this place is nicer than the one out in Parnell, which is surprising because hostels in city centres are usually crap.


Anyhow, the big revelation of the day is that there is no way I will stay anywhere near my budget at the pace I am spending money. As of today, I committed myself to self-catering instead of eating out like I used to. This is a challenge for me because I don't cook. Plus, I'll have to schlep some food around with me. Now that I'm determined to self-cater tho, I had to go find a supermarket. The nearest decent place to my hostel was 20-25 f***ing minutes walk away. (I took the bus back). I loaded my grocery basket with all the essentials of cooking - apples, bananas, yogurts, and ofcourse, 2 minute noodles and instant pastas. Little did I know how sad I would be as I sat in the kitchen, picking at my pathetic dinner, while other travellers somehow manage to make 3 course meals. I would recommend to anyone thinking of travelling on a budget to LEARN TO COOK before you go!


It's now been about 2 months since I had my last haircut at the Trenzo in Johannesburg. I feel desparately in need of another one, despite my original plan to go 6 months, if not the year, w/o a haircut. Ofcourse, a decent haircut would set me back another $60 or $80 here. But how lucky am I? The popular Toni & Guy hair salon is looking for hair models. Basically, I can get a free hair cut if I stand as guinea pigs for trainees. I missed my chance to get a cut today, but I booked myself in for Monday's session.

No comments: