Tuesday, January 6, 2004

Sunrise Hike up Mt. Warning


I couldn't convince Rich to get up at 0300 to hike up Mt.Warning to catch the sunrise at the peak. But we did get up at 0400. We were at the trailhead by 0500 and were on our way up. About 30 min into the hike tho, Rich decided he wasn't fit enough to keep going, so I went up on my own, torch in hand, through the dark forest. At about 0600, I could see the red sun rising above misty hills in the distance through the trees. Fortunately, I soon came to couple of clearings where I got a fantastic view and some photos. Near the top, there was some really steep rock climbing with chain holds. By then tho, some people were starting to come down so if I had slipped and fallen, I probably would have been rescued. At the top were more great views of the surrounding. Mt.Warning is actually the tallest mountain on the East coast, and it's smack in the middle of a volcano crater which spans that whole area. The whole hike up & down took me 3 hours.

No comments: