Monday, January 26, 2004

Kakadu NP


I had another 3 day/2 night camping trip, this time through Kakadu NP with Kakadu Dreams. There was only 6 of us in a 4WD - James, Max, Hannes, Ako, Heike, and me. Our guide was Lyle and he was half Aboriginal (indeginous people of Australia) so he knew a lot about their culture and was a great guide. There was a lot of hiking and swimming involved in the tour, but I got more cultural experience than I expected. That was great, because otherwise, I may never have bothered to try to learn anything about the Aboriginal culture. It is a significant part of Australia, so it would have been a shame not to have seen any of their art or hear a didgeridoo played properly.

It is currently rainy season in Kakadu, so it's the low peak season and hence only the six of us on the tour. The 2 girls were close to my age so we got along really well so that was great. The 3 boys were much younger, but the 2 Austrian boys were so funny they had me clutching my stomach and laughing half of the time in the car. Actually, I just remembered Max was my age. I would've never known it though from the way he acted. James, from Italy, was pretty chill & nice too. He had been taking didgeridoo lessons and was really into the Aboriginal culture.

No comments: