Friday, September 12, 2003

Pretoria

The morning was quite an adventure for me. I managed to hop on all kinds of public transport for the first time - on my own. I didn't set my alarm this morning but I still managed to get up about 0730. A good thing because I had a lot to do today. I needed to get to Pretoria by 1230 so that I can get my Tanzania visa. Turns out by the time I got around to calling for bus times to Pretoria, I had missed the last morning one. As I wondered what to do now, Inga arranged for her friend to take me to the outskirts of Pretoria, so we rushed out and I was on my way. I got dropped right off the highway at about 1000. I walked over to the nearby Pick and Pay and hopped on the one minibus taxi there to take me into town. After lots of stops, I had to change over to another minibus taxi to get to Arcadia. I managed to find the second minibus somehow and safely arrived at the Tanzanian Embassy. The visa processing there was quick and painless but I now had to get to the bus station to get back to Jo'burg. Lucky for me, one of the workers decided to take me himself after I asked him the best way for me to get there. As soon as I arrived, the Greyhound bus to Jo'burg was about to leave. It was 1200 exactly, and they let me purchase the ticket on the bus. Had I missed that, I would've had to wait until 1500 for the next one. Once back in Jo'burg, I took a regular taxi back to Melville.

After getting back, I was desperate to get a haircut as I was tired of the look. I initially thought to not bother for the year but I couldn't stand it anymore. Inga knew of a fancy salon, Terenzo, so I went there and got a haircut I was really happy with, as well as a head and foot massage.

In the evening, Gerry and his friend Byon picked me up for a night out. We headed back towards Stanton where Gerry is for dinner at Franz. I had the best fillet of steak ever. We migrated over to Rhapsody's for a few drinks aftewards, and when they closed down, Gerry and I kept on to Suvudada(?) for more drinking and some dancing.

No comments: